2014 NESA Scholarship Applications
In 2014, the National Eagle Scout Association will award over 200 scholarships to Eagle Scouts ranging in size from $1,000 to $50,000 each. Deadline for submissions is December 31, 2013.
All NESA scholarship applications must be submitted online only. Paper applications will not be accepted as all information must be entered online by the candidate. This allows our system to instantly score each application and sort it by region so that regional judges can evaluate the written portions of the application.
These scholarships are not available to students attending trade schools, two-year colleges, or any of the U.S. military academies, because at these academies expenses covered by NESA scholarships are already paid by the United States government.
2014 NESA scholarship submission form: https://nesa.academicworks.com/
NESA offers two basic types of scholarships: academic scholarships and merit scholarships. Academic scholarships require a minimum SAT or ACT score to apply. Merit scholarships are based on school and Scouting participation and community service.
NESA Academic Scholarship requirements
1. Academic scholarship applicants must apply during their senior year in high school unless the Eagle Scout board of review was held after December 31, 2012. In those cases, the applicant must apply by December 31, 2013 even if he is already attending college. Eagle Scouts may apply for an academic scholarship one time only and must apply during the timeframe defined above.
2. All academic scholarship applicants must have a minimum 1800 SAT or 28 ACT score to apply. A “superscore” may be used to meet the minimum 1800 SAT requirement.
3. All applicants must be current members of the National Eagle Scout Association to apply. Applicants with memberships that expire on December 31, 2013 are still eligible to apply and invited to renew. Memberships may be purchased or renewed at http://www.nesa.org/membership.html.
- Cooke scholarships ($2,500 - $48,000) – Awarded based on school and Scouting participation, grades, and financial need. Applicants must meet the minimum SAT or ACT score to apply.
- United Health Foundation scholarship ($25,000) – Awarded to one applicant annually who has chosen to pursue a career in the healthcare arena and is willing to give back to an underserved community. Applicants for the UHF scholarship who are not selected will automatically be considered for a Cooke scholarship worth $2,500 - $48,000 each.
- NESA STEM scholarship ($50,000) – Awarded to one applicant annually who has chosen to pursue a career in a STEM-related field. Applicants for the STEM scholarship who are not selected will automatically be considered for a Cooke scholarship worth $2,500 - $48,000 each.
Scouts may apply for the STEM scholarship and UHF scholarship if they plan to pursue a career in a field that fulfills both requirements (ex. Robotic surgery).
NESA Merit Scholarship requirements
Eagle Scouts may apply for the NESA merit scholarships beginning in their senior year of high school and may continue applying every year up till the junior year in college. Applicants may win a merit scholarship one time only.
- Hall/McElwain scholarships ($1,000) – Awarded based on school and Scouting participation and community service.
- Robert and Rebecca Palmer scholarships ($2,500) – Awarded to the top three Hall/McElwain finalists, and is based on school and Scouting participation and community service.